Can you remember your first time riding a bike - it wasn't so easy. I remember my first time. My cousin, Jennifer, got a new purple bike with a long banana seat and as soon as I saw it I knew I had to learn to ride. She, being a year older than me, was ever so kind in teaching me. My 5 year old cousin held on to the back of that seat as we rode from my house to her house and back over and over until I mastered it. Kids now days have it easy . . . I learned on gravel with no knee pads or helmet of any kind - thank heavens! I don't think I'd have wore them even if they had them! :) I remember that night not wanting to go to bed for fear I'd forget how to ride in the morning and woke up first thing and jetted over to her house to prove I still remembered.
So I've been waiting ever so patiently for my eldest to learn how to ride. I was 4 when I learned so thought she should be just as eager. To my dismay she wasn't. We tried last summer without success and Ashlee found she loved her scooter and didn't give her dear old Princess bike another thought. This year I decided it was time. She's going to be 6 on May 2nd so I wanted to get this accomplished before that. A 6 year old that doesn't know how to ride . . . that's just not acceptable!
So here it is, Spring Break, and I told her we're gonna get this thing done by the end of the week. Today was our first try and to my amazement she took no time at all. She's still a little unsure and I have to remind her to "pedal" as she seems to forget - she sure doesn't forget that brake though!
A word to the wise . . . . don't teach your children how to ride bikes with flip flops on. I did and wouldn't you know somehow the toe nail on my big toe got ripped half way off. This is the toe that I just had surgery on and just got the nail looking normal again. Lucky me!
Oh, FYI the video is a little long. Dell didn't pause at all during it so I couldn't cut it down. I made him video since I was the one that taught her earlier . . . I wanted the credit for future reference. ;) Her accomplishment benefited us all as a trip to Chuck E. Cheese was the prize (I do bribe my children - and it works!)
11 years ago


5 comments:
So FUN!!! Yeah for her. I love it when they're able to do "new" things. Good for her.
Way to go, Ashlee! It seems like kids who ride scooters pick up bike-riding a little easier than the rest of us! I taught our little neighbor how to ride a bike in about 5 minutes and she had it down!
Congratulations, Ashlee! -- and Becky, too.
I'd like a nickel for every bike I've run behind - but it's always a thrill to see them "get it!"
Love,
Grandma A
Way to go Ashlee! I'm all about bribery... works every time!
I love the purple banana seat story - what a beauty that bike must have been. I am now certain that Ashlee and Kaden are meant for each other. Although we will work on his basketball skills before he will ever get to take her out.
Post a Comment