Frame Disaster:
Tonight is my YW in Excellence for Mutual (a Wednesday night activity for our young women ages 12-18 in church) and I volunteered to make these cute frames that have all of President Hinckley's "Be"s. Anyhoo it's super cute, but can I just say that the frames were a nightmare. I bought cheap frames from WalMart that were plastic thinking I could spray paint them and it would be no biggy. Well think again. I used up 3 cans of spray paint and you could still see the original color bleeding through. To makes matters worse, the last day that I put another coat on it was cold outside so it looked like the paint cracked. I think it looks horrible. I ended up getting some craft paint primer and painted each of the 13 frames again - then went over it again with a normal coat of white. It took me well over 2 hours. The project is done - YEA for that, but I think the frames look hideous and I don't want anyone to know I did them. I think we should have thrown them all away, bought a nicer frame, and started fresh. I got out voted though so we'll see. I hope the girls will like them anyway. Dell thinks they look really nice . . . that's what any good husband would say after seeing their wife freak out over painting 13 frames for the 20 bazillionth times!
Our toilet fiasco . . .
So our toilet started leaking around the base. I got tired of it having a constant rim of water so decided to take action. I asked my dad what he thought and he said to tighten the nuts around the bolts that holds the toilet down - sometimes it can get loose and water leaks. Well I tried that and it seemed to make it worse - instead of a little water there was now a puddle. Knowing that my in-laws are coming on Saturday, and we have to get this fixed ASAP I went to Lowe's to see if I needed to get a new washer or something for the bolts. I talked to the guy and he said I needed to get a whole little wax ring replacement kit. I asked him what I needed to do, bought the stuff, and came home to fix the problem. I'm actually pretty proud of myself . . .this is me patting myself on the back . . . anyhoo the first thing I did was shut the water off and disconnect the hose from the wall to the toilet. Then I took a utility knife and cut all around the toilet to unseal the caulk. After that I scooped all the water remaining in the toilet out so it wouldn't leak all over the floor and then waited for Dell to get home. Once he got home he picked the toilet up and moved if off its "sitting spot". We, or I rather, had to clean all the prior wax ring out of the way and clear a new spot. It was pretty gross. The wax is like straight grease. So we got that cleaned up, put a new wax ring on, positioned it just right and placed in back in tow. After I tightened it back up I caulked around it (like 4 times because I didn't like how it looked) and then we were done.
Wouldn't you know it works like a champ no. No more leaking!! Dell said normal people would've called a plumber. I told him that may be true but normal people aren't trying to pull off Mexico and Christmas within a month of each other!!
One for the history books . . .
My sister, Kylee's volleyball team made it to State in volleyball. This is the first time Othello has ever made it this far. She had a GREAT District tournament last weekend and State is this weekend, here in Tri-Cities. We're so excited for that . . . go Ky!!


6 comments:
I am having bathroom trauma here. Can you make a stop before Mexico to fix it? hee hee. We have a horrid stench in our bathroom and I am wondering if it might be that the wax ring isn't sealed right. What do ya think? Also... I looked close at the big picture of your frames, and you really can't tell it was "horrid" as you say. I think they look awesome, and the girls aren't gonna care. Trust me. I've stressed over plenty of those and it always turns out great!
Whoa, you have NO IDEA how impressed I am with your plumbing skills!!! Awesome work, it looks GREAT! I think we need to replace a ring on one of our toilets but have I ever considered doing it myself? Heavens no! But you just may have inspired me :) Where in Mexico are you going? Just you & Dell? We are heading there next year, am jealous of you--I want to go NOW!
Becky,
The frames are adorable! I know how you feel about certain projects you just never want to see again. Next time I have a problem with my toilets I am calling you! That is pretty impressive. Watch out I may tell my brother AHO can have another fix-it person!
Ok so first of all you are AMAZING! I would've just kept putting down towels to soak up the water till Jacob got around to fix it. Next time I will call you and you can walk me through it. Secondly, Mexico? Oh, how jealous I am.... I am already sick of winter and in desperate need of some SUN & SAND! Have so much fun!
I'm very impressed that you fixed your toilet. Have a fun trip!
Really, how ghetto is it that I have to find your blog through someone else?
I miss you and your shenanigans... that toilet bit is crackin' me up.
Post a Comment