Monday, March 22, 2010

Our Precious Girl



Here's Aislyn's story:
I had an appointment on Monday, March 15th, my due date, and found out that she was looking good but I didn't look any closer to giving birth than a 38 weeker! My ultra sound tech told me the baby was gonna be 9 1/2 lbs (which I didn't believe) and that her head was rather large. The stress test showed that in 15 minutes I only had one contraction and my check-up showed I was at a 3. So needless to say induction was at the top of my mind!

I've been induced both times before so was really wanting to go on my own to get the whole experience. I didn't know what contractions felt like, on their own, and from past experience knew that being induced is hard on your body and I always have the girls in the middle of the night, which leads to two solid days of no sleep. Anyhoo my Dr. told me to call in at 5 p.m to see if there was a bed available. I called right at 5 and they told me they'd either call back by 6 p.m. or for me to call back by 6:45 p.m. if I hadn't heard anything. So at 6:45 p.m. I called in again and they said they had a spot and for me to come in.

Meanwhile we took our girls over to my brother's house and I was feeling a lot of tightness in my stomach, but no pain. When we got there and I got all hooked up to the monitor it showed I was having contractions every 2 minutes, was at a 4, and was in labor. I was shocked and so happy to be doing it on my own. I told the nurse I didn't know THOSE were what contractions felt like and that I'd been having THOSE for quite awhile. There was no pain with them though - just uncomfortable and tightness. So basically they got me all ready, gave me an epidural, broke my water, at the end gave me some pitocen to get things to speed up, and the baby was born at 1:07 a.m. It was overall my best experience. They do a new thing called Kangaroo Care when they're born, where they put the baby on you, skin to skin, for the first hour after they're born and it was really neat. Very emotional and very natural. I guess it's supposed to be less trauma on the baby and is the best way to regulate her body temp and blood pressure. Anyways I didn't know they were gonna do that, but ended up really loving it.

Both Aislyn and I are doing well. She isn't a crier at all so far and is so very pleasant. Our girls are thrilled that "the baby is finally out" as are Dell and I. She looks just like her Daddy - or so we think.

Oh and you pronounce her name with the strong A sound - in case you were wondering! :)

7 comments:

Kori said...

She is so cute! I can't wait to see her. Congratulations to all of you.

Shayla said...

She's adorable, Becky! I LOVE her name, it's beautiful. It's amazing to me how different contractions can be for different people. Mine were painful, like "I thought my body was cracking in half" painful. I'm glad it went so well for you. Congrats!

Kim said...

I'm so glad that everything went well! I had our second one on my own, but walked into the hospital at a 10 and had him 40 minutes later. I decided on this last baby that I was getting induced rather than deliver somewhere on my own with the other ones in tow! I hope you have a speedy recovery and that you all enjoy the fun of another little girl! We need some pink around our house!

MamaBird said...

I kinda think she looks like your mom. :)
Congrats to all! See you soon!

Brynne said...

Congrats on another beauty! So glad it all went well!!

Ashton & Co. said...

COngratulations! SHe is so beautiful! Glad all went well!

Dianne said...

Thanks for more beautiful pictures and a report from the mother's side.

We're so glad things are going well!