Thursday, September 3, 2009

First Day of School

We had a hard time with the sun while taking pictures so she's in my shadow. I love this picture because she's showing all 6 of her missing teeth. She had a busy summer (so did the tooth fairy)!

Ashlee was so excited for her first day of First Grade! This would mean school all day long, hot lunch & 3 recesses! She was nervous about her bus ride - and I made things worse by discovering we were going on the wrong bus - it was like 5 blocks away from our house. So on day 2 she had to go to a new bus stop and start the worrying all over again!

We got her on the bus and then followed her to the school to get her settled. She met up with friends right off the bat and was excited to be reunited with the playground toys. We left her happy and confident . . . that's not how she returned to us.

No kidding I was so anxious for her to get home and see how her first day was and I got what every mom would expect (from a boy maybe) one word answers such as: good, ya, fine, okay. I was totally disappointed. We get home and I run to the school to find out about the bus schedule and so the girls are home with Dell. When I get back Ashlee is crying and Dell says she's been like this since I left. She was mad that "I made her wear these fancy pants (skinny jeans) and these shoes that gave me blisters." I'm just the meanest mom ever because I didn't let her wear shorts and a lot of other kids, or ALL the other kids according to her, wore shorts. To make a long story short she was pretty much a beast the rest of the evening. No kidding she was crying, pouting, just being a pill. Dell and I just couldn't believe it because that is SO not typical of her. Much to my relief day #2 was much better. I got her off the bus and she told me story after story about school and was happy as a lark. I said, "wow I sure like this Ashlee a lot better than yesterday's Ashlee." and she said, "I know mom, yesterday I was just really tired." I guess the first day of all day school, hot lunch and 3 recesses really took it's toll. But rest assured she adjusted after one day, and as long as she gets to put shorts on as soon as she gets home, I'm no longer the meanest mom!

7 comments:

Brynne said...

Great story! 1st grade is a hard adjustment, longer days bring grumpy kids until they get adjusted. Sounds like she adjusted pretty quickly.

Kim said...

Yeah for school! First grade was really hard for Braxton. He came home crying every day for the second half of the year til school was over. He was in a split class though so half were second graders and there was a lot more pressure! Good luck. Hopefully she'll come home nice everyday. I had to start making mine go to bed at 7:30 so they weren't ornery the next day.

Unknown said...

That is a funny story,just wait until she is a teenager. It is a long day at school, but glad she adjusted quickly. I know exactly how you feel about being excited for your kids and then getting one word answers its frustrating.

Misty said...

I love it. Girls are soooo different than boys. Tyler's first day of Kindergarten, one word anwers to how his day went. Grace gave me play by play details of her first day of preschool. Glad the shorts get to come out after school. What a trooper.

Annette Rose said...

That is too funny. Glad day 2 was better. I can't believe how big she is... Man it goes fast. Glad you weren't the meanest mom ever for long... pretty sure I needed the title back... Maybe next time keep it for a little longer! :)

Camille said...

OH, I am so glad to know it's not just Kaylee! She was so mean to me because I couldn't find her after school and she couldn't find me. There is no set pick up spot for first graders, though there should be at least for the first week! She just kept on and I finally lost it and yelled at her. Then she continues with I hate these shoes you made me wear, they hurt my feet. Blah blah blah! I was so mad!!! Later on she and I finally calmed down a bit and I discovered that she had had a bad day.... not knowing what to do, got yelled at by the lunch lady, felt dumb for being one of the only ones with a home lunch, recess was too short, and on and on. I think fatigue was the major factor but man, I just hated hearing that the first day was so hard, and so we just sat and cried for like an hour. It was crazy. She begged me not to make her go back. But, the next day all was well. Thank goodness!!!

MamaBird said...

Oh the life of the "Meanest Mom"... it is a never ending saga of realizing that becoming the meanest in the world should be your ultimate goal. In essence it equates to you doing a FABULOUS job in preparing and teaching your kids - really! It took 3 kids and almost 20 years as a parent ( and hearing those words all to often)to realize that this Meanest Mom in the World produced some pretty great kids! Yours will turn out great too!! :)